Friday, April 17, 2009

Um...O.KAY....

"Glioblastoma multiforme refers to a malignant neoplasm with abundant glial pleomorphism, numerous mitotic figures and giant cells, vascular hyperplasia, and focal areas of necrosis."

That's the type of explanation that comes up when I try to research some of these children's conditions. I'm left going "Hmmm....... O.Kay. So, necrosis means tissue death, and, hmm... malignant means cancer.... vascular--blood vessels, right? and hyper means extra....What the heck's 'glial pleomorphism'?? I don't know--shoot. Lord, take it out of there, whatever it is." After googling the eighth or tenth word in that sentence, I forget which condition and whose it was that I was looking up.

By the way, we decided to leave in the morning, so I have time to upload a few photos I took of Promise & Keren's scans, so that some of you who actually understand what you're seeing can tell me (in simpler words than the above, please) what's happening with the girls and what they need.

P.S. Nobody does have a glioblastoma multiforme (I hope).

4 comments:

HennHouse said...

I sure am praying for you...

love you, Sarah.

Trina said...

Ugh girlie....The Glioblastoma is in fact one of the most common and also the most aggressive/most mailignant of the glial brain tumors....I have followed several little kiddos at St. Jude with this type of tumor....I pray they are wrong..

Trina and Jophie

Gail said...

I hope you were only using that definition as an example. My dear Mom had glioblastoma multiformae and lived 1 month and 1 day after her diagnosis.
I know what you mean about medical terms - diaphoretic means cold and clammy, nuchal rigidity is a stiff neck..My husband was ill for several months in the hospital and I tried to read his records until someone said I shouod not have access to them. But it was a slog for a non medical person.

sarah bess said...

Oh, my gosh, Gail. I'm so sorry...

Sorry if I scared anybody. None of our children have glioblastomas. It was just a sentence I came across while looking up the term "temporal horn". One of our kids has one temporal horn larger than the other--was trying to see if that was significant.

Share it

Blog Widget by LinkWithin